11.24.2009

Giving Thanks

I am so grateful for the holidays because every year, without fail, they help me put it allll in perspective. Thanks to a huge emphasis on family, generosity and love, the petty worries and drama fall to the wayside while I revel in how much I really have to be thankful for. And it is a lot... I have my health, a roof over my head, food in my fridge, a job AND friends and family to lean on. So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving, below are just some of the reasons I am giving thanks this year.

  • First and foremost, I am employed. I have friends who are not as lucky, and it highlights how layoffs and cutbacks are not so unimaginable. I am blessed to have a job and like what I do.
  • Big city that it is, I constantly see others guiding the blind toward an entrance, helping the elderly cross the street and paying for the bus fares of others here in Chicago. The kindness of strangers puts a smile on my face.
  • Two of my very best friends got engaged this year, and their happiness means the world to me.
  • I joined a supper club that is forcing me outside of my frozen pizza bubble -- as in, I have to cook. Hey, if you don't try, you never know, right? Thank God my critics are also good friends... here's to them taking it easy on me.
  • I have seven great siblings who know they can come to me for anything. Though they like to worry me with their concocted stories ("I got a drinking ticket! Don't tell mom!"), I know that despite their teenage transgressions, they are all right.
And here at JB Chi, we would also like to thank the manyyyy people who have helped us promote our campaigns this year. The Tetra Pak campaign is something we are all especially proud of having a hand in, but we could have never done it alone.

To show our thanks, we will be sending #thankafarmer tweets tomorrow to show all the hardworking farmers how much we appreciate, well, their hard work. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, please take part in this between 10 a.m. and noon. Show 'em some appreciation, people... we all need it once in a while.

2 comments:

  1. Your write up on the things you are thankful is inspiring and it should go as a reminder to all that all our thanks add up into a wonderful web of blessings. To some it is within our immediate circle and for others it's outside. I too am always appreciative when witnessing random acts of kindness between strangers and persons of parallel paths in life.

    Your joys and growth into the supper club is a really great idea, yes start somewhere. The enjoyment you get from your responsibility towards your siblings is a wonderful step in being that special unique sister that every sibling wishes they have or had. I see thanks sprouting from these joys.

    Giving a shout out to #thankafarmer is another form of seeing a parallel life uniting with another. Here we have a city girl, thanking someone or should I say a group of people, she is not in close contact with and pushing for their attention, purpose and hard work. I raise my cup and salute you for helping myself and others know thanks. May yours grow 10 fold before the turn of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said kimbo! not only do we live in the best country in the world....but we have the best family in the world as well! looking forward to many laughs today and since i don't "tweet" i highly encourage all to support local farmers! love you!

    ReplyDelete